Monday, March 23, 2015

Production!

Welcome to production or how logical thinkers would say, "the second level of hell". Not to discourage the film making process in any way, it is hard work, it is annoying work, as it sure is the best work. During production, you film. This is when the key ingredients in making the entree of a five star restaurant are produced. This is the lumberyard, the farm. You get the point. In my last blog, I was talking about the necessity to ace pre production. Shot lists, storyboards, concept art, and an overall goal were being planted to sprout the pedals of success during filming.

The first scene and first shot(Or the Jonesy) was at Frank's house. This scene is where our troubled, little, and precarious character named Frankie Gibson is waking up to another day full of mindless bullies and ignorant beings. This shot was essentially a simple and quick shot. It turned out that it took us almost 2 hours to fulfill and we needed to be at the library around the same time. The one thing that was tricky was the timing. The phone needed to activate the alarm and the youtube to video had to be in a key part. This flow of movement was a trick at first, but after Danilise and me timed and cued each element.

The second shot and the second scene was at the library. In total it took us over 2 hours to film this mother. Fortunately, I knew all the shots that I wanted. Unfortunately, it was taking to time to realize this into reality Communication was always my problem as a director. Oh I hate when people don't understand my "vision". When being a director, we need always remember you are the parent of everyone. Telling them what to do, making them listen, and taking care of them. They won't realize your vision if you don't realize theirs. They want to have a fun and less complicated time on set. When you try to control more than 30 or even 5, some won't listen to you. Directors need to establish themselves as the Alpha. During this production, I had to do that. My friends tried to play, but we managed.

Oh yeah, one thing for potential directors that are looking to stepping into a boat sailing for maelstrom, bring friends that will keep you on track.

By the time we got to the Martini Shot, we all were very tired. I was hungry for chicken fries, which if you haven't tried them, you should. Some people were uncooperative and others were done. I yelled, "that's a wrap" and we left. Now it was time for editing.

I always try to learn what I can in whichever story I tell. I learned that you have to keep everyone in a short leash, others shorter. Always come prepared with a plan and the best way to communicate your vision with everybody.

hmmmmm... chicken fries.... hmmmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment